Dopamine is a neurotransmitter produced by the hypothalamus, a small region of the brain that helps you feel pleasure. It’s an important part of our bodies’ reward system, meaning the brain releases dopamine when you do things that feel good or pleasurable or when you complete a task. Dopamine is often called the ‘happy hormone‘.
The term ‘Dopamine Dressing’ refers to us wearing colours that make us feel happy. Are you aware that when you put on a certain colour your energy lifts making you feel happier, more productive and lifting the spirits of others around you?
Many people feel unconfident when it comes to experimenting with colour. Perhaps you are worried that friends and family might make a comment, maybe it’s too much effort to try anything other than your ‘norm’. I’m on a mission to empower you to step into colour with confidence and feel the benefits of a dose of dopamine!
In a recent episode of The Unlock Your Hidden Confidence Podcast I talk in detail about Dopamine Dressing, the benefits and how to get started.
Listen now to see how you can apply a few simple tips to help you wear colour and feel the benefits.
How Can I Get Started with Dopamine Dressing?
Here are my 7 Top Tips For Dopamine Dressing.
Apply these today to start to release more dopamine and feel the benefits of the Happy Hormone!
- Try it! – Consciously think about what you are going to wear tomorrow the night before! Ensure you have a minimum of 3 colours. This could be as simple as 2 neutral colours and a pop of colour in the form of a scarf, coloured handbag or shoes.
- Take responsibility – Be in control of your mood and energy. If you have a few tops in bright colours that you save ‘for best’, wear them tomorrow. Make every day your best day!
- Do a wardrobe edit – Go through your wardrobe and see what you have. What percentage of black is there? Ask yourself when was the last time you wore each item. If it’s over a year ask yourself why? How did you last feel when you wore it? Take Marie Kondo’s advice and only keep it if it brings you joy, if you feel happy and confident in it.
- Set yourself a wearing colour challenge – Firstly decide if it’s a 3-day challenge or a 7-day challenge. Plan your outfits and each day make sure you wear a different colour and journal at the end of the day how you have felt. By the end, you will have a clear picture of your happy colours and have adopted a new way of dressing.
- Mindful shopping – Next time you are shopping don’t go on default mode! By that I mean don’t buy the same thing as you always buy. After all, how many black or navy pairs of trousers do you need? Consciously try on something colourful that you would normally avoid, you may be pleasantly surprised! I find the best place for buying colourful basic essentials is Kettlewell Colours. All readers of this blog can benefit from a 5% discount off all purchases and FREE P&P. To claim your discount email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accessories – Accessories are the perfect way to step into colour. It’s not all about scarves, don’t forget colourful jewellery, belts, headband, hats, handbags and shoes. Shoes are a perfect way to bring an outfit alive and I recommend Colours By Ell shoes for both professional coloured court shoes and casual leather sneakers in a variety of colours. See the range at https://www.coloursbyell.com If you like nail varnish then why not try a chemical-free polish in a range of colours at https://foothealthfirst.co.uk/product-category/nail-care/. Use the code llauder2022 for a 5% discount in the webshop.
- Invest in Colour Analysis with me to discover the range of colours that naturally harmonise with your skin tone. I promise it will be the best investment you make! I offer a bespoke service either 1-1 or 1-2 if you are coming with a family member or friend. Book a 20-minute Curiosity Call to discuss how you can benefit from discovering your colours.
Does Colour Analysis Make You Feel Happy?
I recently conducted a poll in my Facebook Group Sparkle & Shine. I asked ‘Are you a happier person since discovering your colours at Colour Analysis?’ 100% of those who responded said YES!
Discovering ‘My Colours’ through Colour Analysis has totally altered the way I shop for clothes and how I present myself. Gone are the days of spending what feels like hours in from of the mirror putting outfits together only to discard them on the bed because something ‘doesn’t feel right’.
Colour Analysis has given me clarity and confidence. I know exactly which shade of colour to buy and the dopamine dose I have from knowing with absolute certainty that I am wearing the right shade of colour to harmonise with my skin tone always ensures my energy, mood and spirit is high helping me to be the best possible version of myself.
Inspire a friend, and pass on this blog to introduce everyone to the benefits of living a life in colour!